Once you’ve set up your YouTube channel and learned how to use its features, its time to start actually using it to connect with your audience. The content you create needs to speak to the interests of your audience, while at the same time being concise. Your YouTube channel is a lot like a blog, albeit with a visual format. The following tips can help you make useful videos that grab the attention of your target audience.
1. Be consistent. If you are going to do a channel, shoot and upload a video to YouTube at least once a week. By consistently pushing out videos you’ll grow your subscriber base. The professional channels I’ve observed typically seem to post at least once a week or several times a week, but not much more than that.
2. Keep your videos short. I keep my videos to around 3 or 4 minutes (unless it’s a webinar recording). If your video is longer than that, people will be less likely to watch it. Also you need to make the first 15 seconds count in terms of grabbing people’s interest. Otherwise they’ll move on to another video.
3. Series can be a useful way to generate content. I’ve found that one way to generate content and hook people into watching multiple videos is to break a topic into a series. For example, I’m doing a series on pop culture magic on my YouTube channel. By having such a series I am able to talk about the topic at length, but break it up into little videos that nonetheless grab the interest of my audience, because they are short and focused, but also indicate that more content will be coming.
4. Be animated and relaxed when talking to the camera. People don’t relate well to robotic presentations. Relax and let your passion for your topic show through. Laugh, make gestures and otherwise be yourself, because a lot of what makes a video appealing is the authenticity of the person.
5. Post your videos on various sites. If you want to get more subscribers, you need to share your videos on different social media sites.
6. Reply to comments. Sometimes you’ll get comments. Make sure you reply to them within reason as this helps increase your engagement and gives people more reason to continue watching your videos.
Do you have any additional tips you wish to share? Leave a comment below.